I have recently been a part of an initiative to counter claims from the coal industry that more efficient coal plants are a climate solution. This has resulted in a factual statement of leading energy and climate scientists from across the world.
The main points of the statement are:
- Unabated coal is not a “low carbon” technology
- Avoiding dangerous climate change requires that the majority of fossil fuel reserves need to stay underground
- Current trends in coal use are harbouring catastrophic climate change
- To keep global warming to less than 2°C above pre-industrial, use of unabated coal has to go down in absolute terms from now on
- Alternatives are available and affordable
- Public financing institutions and regulatory agencies are reining in unabated coal, but more is needed